Being such a fussy bee that I am, I had my hospital bag ready even before a month to my scheduled due date. I had scoured numerous sites and blogs and tested the patience of many of my friends to know what I exactly needed to carry in my hospital bag. Needless to say, when the moment actually came, I realised I had over-packed while completely forgetting certain basic necessities. Here’s what to pack in your hospital bag for delivery in India:
- Maternity Nightgowns – Keep an extra for accidents. Believe me, it happens.
- In most hospitals in India, they have maids who wash patient’s and baby’s clothes. If you are not comfortable with the idea of them washing your clothes, you can ask your house maid to wash them.
- Nursing Bras (keep a few breast pads, just in case).
- Panties (I recommend disposable ones).
- Towels and Napkins.
Comb, hairband/scrunchy, toothbrush, toothpaste, tongue scraper, lip balm, body lotion, soap/body wash, toilet roll, Sanitary napkins (I know some people who have liked the comfort of Adult Diapers for extra soaking).
- Wet wipes, hand sanitiser.
- Sleepers – You need a sturdy pair of sleepers to support your wobbly legs while you visit the washroom or walk the length of the hospital room.
- Somethings Fun – pack a fun novel if you are a book lover, crosswords, Sudoku etc, anything to while your time in case of an extended labour.
For the baby:
- Few pairs of clothes.
- Old dhoti – some families have the tradition of receiving the baby for the first time in an old worn out dhoti (basically, the dhoti made of muslin is soft to the newborn’s skin). This muslin can be used as baby’s first nappies. You can collect meconium, the dark coloured sticky substance excreted from baby in these muslin nappies and then throw them away.
- Cloth nappies and diapers.
- Swaddle cloths.
- Quick dry sheets.
- Baby wipes.
- Nappy pins for cotton nappies.
So this is what you should pack in your hospital bag for delivery. However, do not fret if you realise you have forgotten to pack in your hospital bag. You can get anything you want later on from home or a store in case you have forgotten something.