I have battled acne since I was a teenager and I still have bouts of adult acne. My dermatologist says this is how it is going to be till I hit menopause. Of late, I have realised no topical medicines help you for your skin. What actually helps you are your lifestyle and the foods you eat. And, so now I concentrate more on eating homemade and clean food, exercise well and use natural ingredients for my skin. And, this is where natural homemade ubtan recipe comes into the picture. I have observed that my skin gets fewer eruptions of acne these days and looks brighter.
Earlier I had mentioned that how I have been using lentil flours for making homemade ubtan (natural bathing powders). This post will talk about other ingredients that I add to lentil flours to make easy natural homemade ubtan recipe for family.
I use four lentil flours – masoor dal, besan, green gram and black gram. However, I pick any one of them on a given day.
Here are a few ubtan benefits:
- Cleanses the skin
- Tones the skin
- Reduces facial hair growth
- Stimulates blood circulation
- Improves skin complexion
- Controls acne, black heads, other skin infections like eczema, etc.
This is an ayurvedic ubtan recipe. To masoor dal or besan flour, I add:
- Turmeric – Turmeric has anti-ageing and skin lightening properties. It cures acne and lightens scars.
- Rose petal powder – It controls oil production, tones the skin and moisturises it. It is used as a face cleanser.
- Orange peel powder – It lightens the skins, fights acne and delays wrinkles.
- Neem leaf powder – It’s anti-septic, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-fungal properties makes it very popular in ubtans. It fights acne, heals scars, treats pigmentation, moisturises the skin, exfoliates, treats skin infections.
- Sandalwood powder – It fights acne, removes suntan, soothes sunburn and controls drying of skin and wrinkles.
Of these, I add only one:
- Honey – It moisturises, lightens the scars and spots, and heals acne.
- Lemon juice – It reduces acne, removes blemishes and brightens the skin.
- Raw milk – It naturally cleans the face, moisturises, lightens tan, exfoliates, soothes sunburn.
- Curd – Curd improves the complexion, reduces acne, exfoliates and moisturises the skin.
Make a thick paste, add a little water if need be. Apply it on your face and body. Leave it for a while till it dries a little. Wash it with plain water.
How often should ubtan be applied?
I bathe with this ubtan every day. However, as far as black gram and green gram ubtans are concerned, I use once or twice a week as they are used as body scrubs.
A few things to remember while making or using ubtan:
- Don’t apply soap after this ubtan. This natural ubtan recipe cleanses your body.
- Masoor dal and besan have almost similar properties; they are used as skin cleansers and skin-lightening agents, while green gram and black gram are good for exfoliating. Remember this while making ubtans.
- Besan or masoor dal ubtan can be applied on babies. I use this ubtan for my daughter as well. However, I add less orange peel powder and neem leaf powder for her ubtan as orange peel gives a slight burning sensation and neem if accidentally goes into the mouth tastes bitter.
- Add raw milk or curd in the ubtan and it becomes an ideal homemade ubtan for summers.
- Add sesame seed oil/almond oil instead of curd in the winter as oils are warm in nature.
- Anything that is eaten can be added to make natural homemade ubtan for babies or adults. For example, you can add cucumber juice, oatmeal, nut oil, etc.
- Post pregnancy and during my confinement period, I used crushed almonds for exfoliation. I will tell you about it in another post.
- You can mix the powders and store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Leftover wet ubtan must be covered, kept in the fridge and used the next day itself.
This is an easy natural homemade ubtan recipe for family. It not only makes me feel clean and refreshed, but also good as there are no artificial agents or colours involved and so it is easy on the environment as well. Very soon, I will post a natural homemade ubtan for babies. I applied it on my newborn daughter.