Did you make a face on seeing the image or reading the title – Bitter Gourd Juice?
Something interesting happened with me a few months ago. My neighbor’s sister in law who is in the skin care industry advised, “You need to do something about your pigmentation. It’s making you look older than you are.”
Before I could reply, she asked, “Can you drink Karela juice?” Bitter gourd in Hindi is called “karela”.
If she had asked me to take pills or apply creams, I would have definitely hesitated. But vegetable juice, I can certainly drink.
I googled a bit about bitter gourd juice benefits and found it is rich in Vitamins B1, B2, B3, C, magnesium, folate, iron, beta-carotene, calcium and potassium.
So, for the past few months I have been drinking this juice daily in the morning. I take a 30 ml shot.
Health in your kitchen is a monthly series where I write about the health benefits, tips and recipes of one product in the kitchen. You can read about other healthy ingredients like
What are the benefits of drinking bitter gourd juice?
- Glowing skin and lustrous hair – Bitter gourd juice has powerful antioxidants and blood purifying properties along with Vitamin A and C. Now you see how it will help with my acne and pigmentation.
- Stronger eyes – It has Vitamin A and compounds like beta-carotene
- Strengthens immunity
- Helps in weight loss – It stimulates the liver to secret bile acids that are essential for metabolizing fat in the body
- Lowers bad cholesterol level
- Helps in diabetes by maintaining blood sugar levels
Does karela juice taste bitter?
Not all!! Ha ha, of course it does. But tell you what, after a few days you get used to the bitter taste. Remember your first ever sip of black coffee, now can you survive without it! Your palate will adjust to this juice too.
Bitter Gourd Juice Recipe
It is very simple to make karela juice. I just wash the gourds and cut the ends. Put it in the blender, strain it and store it in the fridge.
I feel good after drinking bitter gourd juice and tell you what I experience less bloating nowadays.