I may have mentioned earlier that I love working out in the gym. I am more of a weight person, and so do weight training four days in the gym. After my strength training, it’s 10-15 minutes of cardio that would see me brisk walking. What do you need for a good workout session – apart from a good pre-workout snack? My gym bag, of course! I carry a few gym bag essentials for women that make my workout more pleasant. Here are 7 things I put in my gym bag.
Gym bag: Before talking about what’s in my gym bag, let me tell you about the gym bag itself. I carry a thick jute shoulder gym bag which holds all my things. However, a compact duffel with several pockets and compartments is very handy and super functional. Having different compartments help as you can keep your dirty workout clothes separate from fresh ones.
Now let’s talk about what’s in my gym bag? These gym bag essentials are for beginners as well as experts.
Shoes and socks: I keep my gym shoes separately; I wear them only in the gym. Buy some good quality running shoes. I always carry extra pairs of socks. Without socks, I find workout sessions very uncomfortable.
Head accessories: It’s very irritating when hair falls on your eyes or forehead while you are running or pricks you at the neck. I usually carry a couple of scrunchies to tie back the hair and if I am running or walking, I wear an elasticated hair band that keeps hair secured on the head. I don’t sweat, however, if you do, I would suggest go for headbands that keep the sweat pouring down your face.
Protein Powder: I am a vegetarian, or you can say I am an egg-etarian, as most I can eat is 1 egg per day. Now, after doing heavy strength training, I need my protein powder. I always add one full scoop of chocolate flavored whey protein powder in a blender bottle and keep it in the gym bag. After work out, all I need is to add water, shake, shake, shake and my lump free protein shake is ready. Also, this protein shake sustains me till I reach home and have my breakfast.Protein powders are available in many flavors and types. If you are dairy intolerant, you can go for gel or plant-based protein supplements as well. Click To Tweet
Reusable water bottle: I carry my own water from home. I am a big fan of nature and wouldn’t do things consciously to hurt it. I am not a fancy plastic person, but prefer using a copper water bottle. The benefits of drinking from metals like copper, silver and gold are quite known.
Toiletries kit: If you take a shower in the gym, as many do especially if they are heading to work post workout, I would suggest carry a toiletries kit or a mini gym bag kit. It makes it easy to find all your necessary items in one place. What to carry in a gym bag kit? Liquid bath gel, moisturizer, shampoo, conditioner and deodorant. I keep wet wipes, scrunchies, lip balm as well. Do not forget to keep an emergency stash for ‘that time of the month’. Keep a separate bag for makeup.
Resistance bands: I hurt myself in the left knee many years ago, that was before I started strength training at the gym. So, I regularly do exercises to strengthen my knee muscles. And for the same, I carry resistance bands in my gym bag. Resistance bands come in a variety of colors and different levels of difficulty. You can use resistance bands for a full body work out and as they are lightweight, foldable and easy to carry, they make great travel companions for a good workout in your hotel room.
Disinfectant tissues or hand sanitizer: People sweat quite profusely while exercising, which dribbles on dumb bells and machines too. And bacteria thrive in sweat. Hence, I carry some disinfectant tissues to wipe down the dumb bells and machines. Also, after my work out, I make it a point to wash my hands with soap or if I am in a hurry, I use hand sanitizer.
Some more gym bag essentials for women:
- Carry an extra t-shirt (dry fit preferably) or a light jacket if you sweat a lot and catch cold easily. Also, if you want to catch up with some friends or do a bit of shopping, it comes in quite handy and you don’t look like you have run through a sprinkler.
- I am not a wearable-kind of person, but if you are and want to track all your steps, record your workouts, including calories burned and heart rate, then you must wear a reliable fitness tracker.
- Gym music is not always hot and happening. If you are not a fan of the gym music, carry your own music player and earphones. Invest in good wireless headphones; they don’t get stuck in your elliptical, treadmill or dumbbells.
- Carry a towel/napkins from home if your gym doesn’t give fresh towels.
- Always carry a couple of protein bars for quick pre-workout energy for days when you forget to have a pre-workout meal or are dashing to the gym straight from work.
- A separate plastic bag for dumping sweaty workout clothes if you change clothes post workout.
- Personally, I am not a big fan of gloves and can’t be dealing with the hassle. I don’t mind a bit of hard skin on the hands that comes from using weights. But, if you want to keep soft skin feeling soft, buy gloves that fit your hands well.
- A good quality Yoga mat if you are averse to using sweaty and uncleaned gym Yoga mats.
Hope you have got 7 things I put in my gym bag. So tell me what goes in your gym bag kit??
I am taking my Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter.