It is the season of luscious strawberries from Mahabaleshwar. At every nook and corner, you will see a vendor sitting with a basket of big fat pink strawberries. While eating fresh strawberries is heavenly, I like to make strawberry jam at home. It’s been 5 years and we haven’t got store-bought strawberry jam.
Homemade strawberry jam is easy and simple to make if you have the right recipe. Here is my easy homemade strawberry jam recipe.
How to make strawberry jam at home?
- Buy 2 kg good quality ripe strawberries.
- Cut the stems. It will leave you with roughly 1850 gms of strawberries.
- Wash them well and dry them on a dish towel.
- Now, roughly chop them.
- Put them in a deep bottomed pan, preferably a patili.
- Add 350-400 gms of white sugar.
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon.
- Now, put this pan of strawberries on the gas. Keep on stirring every 10 mins. so as the sugar doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- It takes approx. 2 hours to get the jam ready.
- Once all the water is evaporated, the mixture will start bubbling and throwing tiny bubbles of jam. It’s an indication that your jam is nearly ready.
- Check the consistency, it should drop from the spoon in a thick blob.
- Remember, the jam will get thicker once it cools down.
- Empty in sterilized glass jars and store it in the refrigerator.
Tips while making homemade strawberry jam:
- Choose small red strawberries, they are sweeter and juicier.
- Make the strawberry jam in February or early March when the strawberries available are of the best quality.
- Prepare the jam in a small batch the first time.
- Cut strawberries instead of blending it. Strawberry pieces when cooks into a jam give it a more wholesome taste than strawberry juice.
- Seasonal strawberries are sweet, hence low sugar is fine too. However, if you have a sweeter tooth, you can go upto 500 gms.
- Do not put glass jars in the freezer. They break and the jam will be rendered inedible.
- Homemade strawberry jam lasts for upto 1 year. However, many friends of mine complain that theirs have a fungal growth after 3-6 months.
- I usually store the jam in big bottles, but fill small quantity for everyday use in small glass jars. The key is not to expose the jam to too much air.
- This is vegan strawberry jam recipe with low sugar and without artificial preservatives.
Enjoy it with sourdough bread, toast, homemade cookies and tea. My daughter spreads the jam on chapatti and enjoys the roti roll. Homemade strawberry jam makes for a beautiful gift too. BTW, very soon I will share another yummy jam recipe. Stay tuned!